link to homelink to about uslink to accommodations and frequently asked questionthe Riverside Foundationhistory and prominent residentsnewsletter

  Riverside  Cemetery
  3607 Pearl Road   Cleveland, Ohio   44109

  216.351.4800

email Riverside Cemetery

The stories of the residents of Riverside Cemetery tell the history of Cleveland and northeast Ohio. Here at Riverside, one can wander among the monuments to those lives, from the early settlers to great industrialists, of the immigrants to intellectuals, and wives and husbands whose own unique lives remain an inspiration to their loved ones. The biographies below highlight the lives of a few of the more prominent residents memorialized at Riverside.

A-F

JOHN N. ACKLEY 1835-1925 | WILLIAM J. O. ASTRUP  1845-1915

JOSIAH BARBER SR.  1771-1842 | JOSIAH BARBER JR.  1825-1884


>FRED A. BLOETSCHER  1885-1918 | TITUS N. BRAINARD  1825-1910

MATTHEW FREDERICK BRAMLEY  1868-1941 | FRANCIS BRANCH  1812-1877

STEPHEN BUHRER  1825-1907 | DANIEL CHATTERSON  1825-1897

DIODATE CLARK  1798-1876 | HON. JAMES M. COFFINBERRY  1818-1891

JOHN B. COWLE  1826-1914 | JAMES MILTON CURTISS  1840-1916

JOHN N. DAYKIN  1829-1892 | LINDA ANNE EASTMAN  1867-1963

HARRY M. FARNSWORTH  1862-1955 | CLAUDE HANSCOMB FOSTER  1872-1965

G-N

CARL E. GEHRING  1830-1893 | HENRY HOFFMANN   1827-1880

CHARLES WILLIAM HOPKINSON  1865-1950
| AVERY HOPWOOD  1883-1928

JOHN GILES JENNINGS  1825-1896 | JOHN GOULD JENNINGS  1856-1937

CARLOS JONES  1827-1897 | THOMAS H. LAMSON  1827-1882

ISAAC  P. LAMSON  1832- 1912 | ISAAC LEISY  1838-1892

AUSTIN LLOYD  1885-1989 | ROBERT LOCKWOOD, JR  1915-2006

NICHOLAS MEYER  1809-1884 | JOHN AND RUBY MILLER

OMAR EUGENE MUELLER  1880-1946 |
GEORGE V. MUTH  1834-1899

O-Z

FREDERICK W. PELTON  1827-1902

DANIEL P. RHODES  1814-1875 | JAMES FORD RHODES  1848-1927


ROBERT R. RHODES 1845-1916 | JOHN NEWTON RICHARDSON  1837-1902

REV. HERMAN J. RUETENIK  1826-1914 | MARTIN RUETENIK  1868-1947

LEONARD B. SCHLATHER  1834-1918| CHRISTIAN SCHUELE 1849-1926

SAMUEL W. SESSIONS  1824-1902 | JULIUS SPANG  1852-1950

OMAR N. STEELE  1843-1911 | MARGARET (MAGGIE) RAUSHA WARFUEL TAYLOR  1846-1875

GEORGE A. TINNERMAN  1845-1925 | ALBERT H. TINNERMAN  1879-1961

ROBERT B. WALLACE 1834-1911 | FREDERICK W. WALZ 1858-1945

JOHN CHRISTIAN WEIDEMAN  1829-1900

FREDERICK W. PELTON  1827-1902

The Superior Viaduct, which linked Cleveland's east and west sides.

He was born in Chester, Connecticut to Russel and Amelia Abbey Pelton. He came with his father to Brooklyn (Old Brooklyn), Ohio in 1835 and attended Brooklyn Academy. He worked with Wheeler, Chamberlain & Co. in Akron, which later relocated to Cleveland. From 1858-67, he worked in the ship chandler business, serving as an artillery captain during the Civil War. After the War, he became Secretary of Buckeye Insurance Co. He joined the Halcyon Lodge and became a 33rd Degree Mason. 

In 1865, he was elected to the Cleveland City Council and served as its President from 1866-1869. He was elected and served as Mayor of the City of Cleveland from 1871-1873. He chaired the committee which chose the site of the Superior Viaduct Bridge. Even though the Superior Viaduct was very high, it needed a section over the River that would swing open to allow ships to pass underneath. His selection of the bridge site was so visionary that it is still deemed an appropriate place for a bridge to cross the Cuyahoga River. Stone arches of the bridge remain a landmark on the west side of the Flats.
 

In 1868 he founded and was President of Citizen's Savings & Loan Assn. He was later a Director of People's Savings & Loan Co., as well as President of Masonic Mutual Life Insurance Co. He also served on the Board of the House of Correction from 1886-89 and as a Director on the Board of the City's Workhouse from 1889-91. He also was Cuyahoga County Treasurer.

He married Susan Denison and they had seven children: Lucy, Elizabeth, Susie, Emily, and three others who died young. 

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 28.

back to top

 

DANIEL P. RHODES  1814-1875

The Rhodes family monument

He was born in Sudbury, Vermont. When he was five years old, his father died, and he was forced to help earn his own living. When he was fifteen, his mother remarried and he lived with them for six years. At twenty-one, he decided to go "West" and make a home for himself. His closely attached step-father offered him a farm of his own if he would stay in Vermont, but the motivation to explore the relatively undeveloped mid-west was too great, and he politely declined. On a return visit to Vermont, his step-father offered him half of his property if he would just remain, but he decided not to accept. He returned to Ohio where he now had a finance who was the granddaughter of Josiah Barber, Sr., the first Ohio City Mayor. She was also the niece of Josiah, Jr., the first President of this Cemetery. 

His independence prompted him to enter into the coal trade of Cleveland, which later grew to magnificent proportions. He founded Rhodes & Co. which was a very successful coal and iron mining company which was the forerunner of the M.A. Hanna Company.  His first enterprise was known as the old Brier Hill Mines. At that time, wood was the universal fuel for domestic use, so he turned toward the lake steamers for business. By his steady perseverance he succeeded in introducing and promoting the use of coal as the primary source of fuel on the lake steamers.  The coal business grew rapidly, and in 1857 he opened mines in Tuscarawas and Wayne counties in a joint venture with J.F. Card. In 1860, his attention was attracted to the mineral resources of Stark County. In that year, Rhodes & Co. opened the famous Willowbank mine which proved to be one of the most extensive and profitable coal mines ever opened in Ohio. In addition to these ventures, he took an active part in the construction of the Northern division of the Cleveland & Toldeo railroad, and of the Massillon & Cleveland and Lake Shore and Tuscarawas Valley Railways. He and H.S. Stevens constructed the West Side Street Railroad. He was a zealous promoter of the building of the West Side Gas Works, and the founder of Peoples Savings & Loan where he was President until the time of his death. He was one of the builders and main stockholders in the Rocky River railroad. He was a member of Cleveland's first School Board. It was said that he did more than any other man to develop Cleveland west of the Cuyahoga River.

He was the father-in-law of Marcus Hanna. Rhodes & Co. became the Hanna Mining Co. after Daniel's son, James Ford Rhodes, sold it to his brother-in-law, Marcus Hanna, in 1885. 

Mr. Rhodes died August 5, 1875, and was buried in the Monroe Street Cemetery. In April of 1878, he was moved to Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 20.

back to top

 

JAMES FORD RHODES  1848-1927

He was born in Cleveland to Sophia Lord Russell and Daniel Pomeroy Rhodes.  He attended the University of the City of New York (1865-66) and the University of Chicago (1866-67), but did not graduate.  He studied history and French literature in Paris and iron metallurgy at the Berlin School of Mines before joining his father's coal mining business in 1870. 

He later founded Rhodes & Co., producers and commission merchants in iron, iron-ore, and coal in 1874, with his brother Robert. In 1881 he began writing monthly trade circulars for his company which were circulated widely and were well received.  In 1884 he retired from the business to devote his life to studying and writing history. He sold the firm to his brother-in-law Marcus A. Hanna in 1885 and it was reorganized as the M.A. Hanna Co. 

He published articles in the Magazine of Western History (1885-86), and wrote the first two volumes on his seven-volume History of the United States from the Compromise of 1850 before moving to Cambridge, MA in 1891, and to Boston in 1895. By 1906 he had completed volume seven of the history. He published many more books, and in 1918 he received the Pulitzer Prize in history for his "History of the Civil War". He earned many honors and honorary degrees. In 1898-99 he was President of the American Historical Assn. He also is the namesake of a major Cleveland High School on Biddulph Road.

James Ford Rhodes married Ann Card in 1872 and they had a son, Daniel Pomeroy Rhodes II. James Ford Rhodes passed away in Brookline, MA. He is buried in Section 20.

back to top

 

ROBERT R. RHODES 1845-1916


The Rhodes mansion, now the Cuyahoga County Archives.

He was the son of Daniel, the brother of James, and was a member of Rhodes & Co. with James Ford Rhodes and Marcus A. Hanna. His home, constructed in 1872 at 2905 Franklin Boulevard, is one of the finest local examples of the Italianate Villa style of architecture and currently houses the Cuyahoga County Archives.

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 20.

back to top

 

 

JOHN NEWTON RICHARDSON  1837-1902

The Franklin Circle Christian Church, designed by John Richardson's partnership, Cudell&Richardson,
is one of many landmarks the firm designed that are still serving the community.

He came from Scotland in November 1863 and became a noted architect and engineer in 19th century Cleveland.  He was a founding Partner of Cudell & Richardson, now recognized as one of Cleveland's most important and innovative architectural firms in the 1870's and 1880's. 

Among his accomplishments in the partnership were the designs of  St. Stephen's Catholic Church at West. 54th Street & Courtland, Franklin Circle Christian Church at Franklin Avenue and Fulton Road (also where James A. Garfield was once a Pastor), St. Joseph's Catholic Church at East 23rd and Woodland Avenue, Geo. Worthington Hardware Company on St. Clair Avenue, Bradley Building on West 6th Street, and the Perry-Paine building on Superior Avenue. He dissolved the partnership in 1890. He was commissioned in 1892 to design the Powerhouse in the Flats for Marcus Hanna's Woodland & West Side St. Railway Co. He designed the six-story Jennings Apartment Building in 1898 on what is now West 14th Street. This was one of Cleveland's earliest high rise apartments with an elevator

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 25.

back to top

 

REV. HERMAN J. RUETENIK  1826-1914

He came from Germany in 1848 to escape political upheaval. Dr. Ruetenik was ordained a Minister in 1853 and came to Ohio as a missionary. He taught school in a two-room schoolhouse. He organized the Central Publishing House and founded the First through the Ninth German Reformed Churches. He was a Professor at Heidelberg University and also a Professor of Theology at Mission House in Franklin, Wisconsin. 

In 1866, he founded, endowed, and was President of Calvin College which was a liberal arts college for German speaking men whose purpose was to prepare young men for the ministry. It was located at West 25th Street in the vicinity of the area of Scranton and Trowbridge Avenues, and it continued for thirty years. His Fourth Reformed Church at West 32nd & Woodbridge Avenue later founded what is now Fairview General Hospital. He was a scholar and an author of seven published works. 

He married Amelia Martin in 1853, and they had five sons. The original Ruetenik homestead was a log cabin and ten acres of land located at 826 East Schaaf Road.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 11.

back to top

MARTIN RUETENIK  1868-1947

He was a son of Herman J. Ruetenik and continued his father's interests in gardening and became a pioneer in greenhouse gardening. He founded the well-know Ruetenik Greenhouses and Gardens on Schaaf Road in Brooklyn Heights. His innovation of greenhouse gardening was introduced to Old Brooklyn by him as he grew vegetables of many kinds. Celery from the Ruetenik gardens was so popular that a Cleveland newspaper dubbed him "the celery king". The Ruetenik design for greenhouses became almost the standard.  It was 30 feet wide with pipe supports and steam heat. As the market for fresh vegetables grew, greenhouses were built on many Old Brooklyn farms.

He was very inventive and further improved his farm by developing a special water system of a dam in the gully, a wind powered pump and two water storage tanks. He sterilized the soil on sheet metal pans and rid the lettuce crop of lice and aphids by burning fresh tobacco leaves in the closed greenhouses. His Model T Ford trucks delivered fresh produce from Canton to Pittsburgh to Southbend.

He also was an innovator in his concern for his staff. In 1901 he worked out a profit sharing plan so his employees could invest their money and share in the business. Many inquiries concerning this plan came from other businesses, two of which were the Fels Naptha Co. and the U.S. Steel Company.

He was President of Lincoln Savings & Banking Company and the first Mayor of Brooklyn Hts., after its incorporation. He was also influential in establishing several industry organizations and other enterprises. He started the now 76-year continous lineage of the Halley family management at Riverside Cemetery in 1930 when, as President of the Board of Trustees, he hired Heber Myron Halley, who was the father of our present General Manager, William Ross Halley.

Martin Ruetenik is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 11.

back to top

 

LEONARD B. SCHLATHER  1834-1918

The Schlather Brewery.

He was born June 20, 1835 in Ebenhausen, Germany. When he was 18, he and his brother, Frederick, came to America where they spent a year traveling to a number of places. They visited some of their mother's relatives in Pennsylvania and apprenticed in several breweries. Shortly after his arrival in Cleveland in 1857, he found a job brewing beer at the Hughes Brewery which he later purchased. He founded and operated L. Schlather Brewery at 1903 West 28th Street in Ohio City from 1857-1902. It became one of the three largest local breweries and one of the largest enterprises in Cleveland. At one time it was considered to be the largest brewery in Cleveland. The Great Lakes Brewing Co. now occupies the site. 

While still young, he married Catherine Buckes, a Cleveland girl, who gave him seven daughters. Two died in infancy, and two died in adolescence.  The remaining three lived to grow up and marry. His wife Catherine died in 1890.  While Catherine was still alive, and the children were young, he began purchasing land near Wooster Road until he eventually owned almost 200 acres. This land was used to grow the hay that fed the horses which pulled the beer wagons for his brewery. He had a "country estate" on 97 acres located at 2185 Wooster Rd.. in Rocky River. He was very much a family man and was very lonely after Catherine died in 1890, especially after having buried four young daughters earlier. At 62 years of age, after being a widower for 7 years, Leonard married Anna Catherine Sophia Schwarz. She preferred to be known as Sophia, and was 32 years younger than Leonard. They lived a happy life together in the Rocky River house he built for her. 

 He owned the Casino Restaurant & Café (later named Webers) on Superior Avenue. It was a three story structure with stained glass windows, handsomely frescoed walls, and a hanging oak staircase. When the building was razed in 1978, the imposing staircase was installed in the Atrium Restaurant in Westlake.

He was a generous philanthropist, had incredible business skills, and an above-reproach reputation. It was said that he possessed incredible business talent and a rare ability to see the future of the city. He was a hardworking man, and his word was as good as gold. He was President of Peoples Savings Bank, Director of Society Savings & Union National Bank. He was also a member of various German organizations. In 1902, he sold the Schlather Brewing Company to spend more time on his charitable interests and traveling the world. He quietly donated large sums of money to area hospitals, particularly St. Luke's, of which he was one of the founders and largest donors: It was known then as Cleveland General Hospital. He also contributed heavily to help build several monuments in Cleveland such as the Goethe and Schiller statues on Liberty Blvd., and the Richard Wagner statue originally located in Edgewater Park. His wife donated many souvenirs in the form of art objects, oil paintings, books, money, and furnishings gathered during their worldly travels to the Rocky River Library after her death in 1956. His obituary shared that he was a witty entertainer with an excellent sense of humor and great hospitality. He was a giving man, a fine example of selfless dedication to others. 

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 5.

back to top

 

CHRISTIAN SCHUELE  1849-1926

He was co-founder of the well-known Fries & Schuele Department Store across from the West Side Market. In 1868, Charles Fries started the company Kline and Hoover Dry Goods, Carpets, and Curtains Store. In 1885, it was moved to a new location by the West Side Market. In 1909, the company was incorporated and Fries and Schuele Department Store and moved across the Street where it remained until it closed in the early 1980's.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 20.

The Schuele family monument.

 

back to top

 

SAMUEL SESSIONS  1824-1902

His information is included with that of his cousins, Isaac and Thomas Lamson.

back to top

 

JULIUS SPANG  1852-1950

He was born in Germany where he was a farmer. He came to America in 1882 with his wife Frederica Wolf and his five children, Lena, Albert, Emil, Arthur and Lydia. Two more children were born here in Ohio, Henry and William. It is said that they first settled in Brook Park, Ohio.

Upon arrival in the United States, he began working at the Ohio Baking Co. In 1888 he and his first wife started baking a few loaves of bread at their home which Mrs. Spang sold from two market baskets. This was so successful that the following year (1889) they opened up a small bakery at 2911 Barber Avenue. They built their business on the "home delivery" principle. Their slogan for the business was, "He Who Eats Spang Bread Lives Long". The Bakery was headquartered on Barber Avenue for seventy years, and employed 433 persons in three plants before being sold to the Laub Baking Company. He was still President of the company when he died at age 98. At the time of his death, the firm operated a fleet of more than 200 delivery trucks. 

He was a member of the West Side Evangelical and Reformed Church (now United Church of Christ) and to the Concordia Masonic Lodge.

Three years after his wife Frederica passed away in 1922, he married his second wife, Louise Dannerman who passed away in October 1950. Two months later, on New Years Eve, Julius passed away.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

 

OMAR N. STEELE  1843-1911

The "Onoko", the first ore carrier on the Great Lakes made of iron instead of the traditional wood hull,
built in Cleveland and piloted by Omar N. Steele

He was an Engineer for 20 years on the Great Lakes. In 1882, he piloted the first iron ore carrier that was built of iron, called "Onoko"

He was Superintendent of American Shipbuilding at his death.  He was known among local Masons as the namesake of O.N. Steele Lodge (now John W. Barkley Lodge).  He was very prominent in Masonic circles.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 22.

back to top

 

MARGARET (aka MARGARETTA, MAGGIE) RAUSHA WARFUEL TAYLOR 1846-1875 

Margaret Taylor, Riverside's first burial.

She was the First Burial in Riverside Cemetery on April 14, 1876. She had died on December 29, 1875 at the age of 29 from peritonitis and was buried at Monroe Street Cemetery. She was brought to Riverside Cemetery to be buried in one of the first sections developed when it opened in 1876.

She was born in New York and married Matthias Taylor in 1864. They had two children, Alfred Warfuel Taylor, and Hannah Mead Taylor. They were born in Trenton where Matthias was employed making swords for the Civil War.  Earlier in his life, in 1861, he had enlisted in the New Jersey Infantry and served in the Civil War. He was injured, then became a Prisoner-of-War, and later was honorably discharged by General Montgomery. Hannah died at 1 year of age in 1868.  In 1873, Margaret and her family moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where Matthias joined his father-in-law in the nail making trade. They had two more children, Margaret Elizabeth Taylor and James Taylor.

After Margaret died in 1875, Matthias remarried. Her son, James, died October 28, 1876 at age 2. Her husband, Matthias, died on September 21, 1878 at the age of 40 years from an industrial accident in the nail factory. 

They are buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 10.

back to top

 

GEORGE A. TINNERMAN  1845-1925

The Tinnerman Store in 1874.

After operating a Hardware Store for five years at Lorain and Willet Avenues, he started a stove manufacturing business in 1875. By 1910, he dropped the hardware operations, and he produced stoves exclusively in his factory at 2038 Fulton Road. This factory later-to-present day became a multi-million dollar company of diversified products for mass production industries. In 1940, the company discontinued the stove making and formed the present Tinnerman Products.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 22.

back to top

 

ALBERT H. TINNERMAN  1879-1961

He succeeded his father and originated the first, all-porcelain, enameled gas range with concealed fastenings in 1923. He patented a spring tension speed nut fastener in 1924 which revolutionized the assembly line and mass production industry.

In the 1960's he donated 10 acres of land with a Main House, Guest Cottage and Boat Building in Alban, Ontario, to the Boy Scouts. Since then, over 14,000 Boy Scouts nationwide have enjoyed camping in this high adventure camp.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 22.

back to top

 

ROBERT WALLACE  1834-1911

He was born at Cootehill, Ireland and came to Cleveland in 1834. He became very involved with the shipbuilding industry in Cleveland's history. He opened a machine shop with partners John Parkhurst, Henry Coffinberry, and John Cowle which later developed into the Globe Iron Works. This company built the first iron ore carrier made of iron which was named the steamer Onoko in 1882. The first person to engineer this vessel on the Great Lakes was Omar N. Steele.  Shortly after this time, Robert and his associates, excluding John Cowle, left Globe and established the Cleveland Ship Building Co. In 1899 Mr. Wallace acquired Globe Iron Works from Mr. Cowle. He, more than any other man, was instrumental in consolidating all of the lake shipyards under the title of The American Ship Building Co. that year. His son, James C., was then named General Manager, and Robert began a gradual retirement from active business life.

At the turn of the 20th Century he served on our Board of Trustees. Robert was also very prominent in church work and an active Mason over 50 years. At his death he was the Treasurer of Thatcher Royal Arch Chapter, A Knights Templar and a 32nd Degree Mason. A Royal Arch Masonic Chapter was named Robert B. Wallace in his honor in later years, but was eventually merged into Triangle Chapter in Berea. He passed away in retirement at St. Petersburg, Florida at age 77.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 22.

back to top

 

FREDERICK W. WALZ  1858-1945

The Walz Library

He was a well-known family physician on Cleveland's West Side for more than 40 years and also held several political positions. He was born in Cleveland, graduated from West High School in 1875, and received a medical degree from Homeopathic Hospital College in 1878. In 1885, he served as a member of the Cleveland School Board. He served as the County Coroner from 1887-91 and is credited with establishing the first morgue in Cleveland. At the end of the 19th century he returned to private medical practice for 20 years. In 1927, he was elected with a strong plurality to the City Council. He was re-elected in 1929 and 1931 when he resigned to run unsuccessfully for the Democratic Congressional nomination followed by another defeated effort for the mayor's job.

A quotation attributed to Dr. Walz states, "If you want to be like a young man when you're old, you have to live like an old man when you're young". In 1967 a Branch Library was constructed and named in his honor at 7910 Detroit Avenue on land that he had donated to the Cleveland Library System. His remaining estate was donated to the system after the death of his wife. He died at age 87. The epitaph on his monument reads: "Stewards only of all we have.  Let us ever strive to give a good accounting".

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 6.

back to top

 

JOHN CHRISTIAN WEIDEMAN  1829-1900

He was born in Lehrensteinsfeld, Wurttemberg, Germany and immigrated with his family to America in 1833. They settled in Philadelphia and moved to Medina County, Ohio, in 1836. At 17 he moved to Cleveland and became an apprentice in the grocery business in 1846.  In 1861 he founded Weideman & Co. specializing in wine and liquor. He brought partners into his business and expanded to include groceries within 10 years. The Weideman Company was incorporated in 1889. By the 1890's it was one of Cleveland's largest firms and one of the largest wholesale grocery companies in the U.S. 

He founded Savings & Trust Co. in 1883, the Union National Bank in 1884, Forest City Savings Bank in 1890 where he served as President, and the Ohio Abstract Co. where he also served as President.

He was active in the Republican Party, and in 1876 he was elected Cleveland's first Police Commissioner. He declined to serve a second term or to run for Mayor.

He married Laura Muntz, and they had one surviving son, Henry W.  She passed away in 1877. In 1879 he married Louise Diebolt and they had a daughter, Elsa L., who married Omar E. Mueller.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 39.

back to top

link to founding link to historic chapel and office link to early funerals and groundskeeping link to 1889 customs and rules link to prominent residents